When selecting an SSL certificate provider, several considerations should be considered. These may include its security features, browser and device compatibility, and warranty/insurance offerings.
Sectigo tops our list thanks to its vast array of certificates, scalability, and price flexibility. In addition, its recognizable site seal and multi-million SSL warranties against data breaches speak for themselves.
DigiCert was established with one goal: making SSL certificates as accessible and dependable as possible. This vision served as the cornerstone of their business, leading to it becoming one of the most frequently utilized CAs today.
DigiCert offers various SSL products, from wildcard certificates to multi-domain and extended validity (EV) certificates. Their expedited identity verification process enables most customers to have their SSL certificates issued within minutes. Furthermore, DigiCert’s servers are located across multiple disaster recovery sites should a data breach occur.
DigiCert stands out with their CertCentral management platform as another stand-out feature of their service, enabling users to easily monitor and manage all SSL certificates in one central place, while offering reports about usage status and usage usage reports for website owners. DigiCert’s exceptional customer service and dedicated support team can be reached around the clock via live chat, email, or telephone support representatives – plus they offer reports about usage status.
DigiCert stands at the forefront in delivering top-tier SSL, IoT, and PKI solutions, earning the trust of leading global entities across various sectors, including prominent banking institutions, major e-commerce platforms, healthcare organizations, manufacturing companies, and cutting-edge technology firms. Their SSL certificates meet individual customers’ specific needs, such as displaying a trust site seal that helps visitors trust your site while increasing conversion rates, which becomes particularly vital in an age of security breaches.
In addition to their user-friendly CertCentral management platform and robust customer support, DigiCert offers a comprehensive range of SSL and TLS certificates tailored to various needs. These certificates include:
- Standard SSL Certificates: Ideal for small websites and personal blogs, these certificates provide basic encryption and validation. They are a cost-effective solution for securing a single domain with the trust and reliability that DigiCert is known for.
- Wildcard SSL Certificates: These certificates are perfect for businesses with multiple subdomains. With a single Wildcard SSL certificate from DigiCert, you can secure unlimited subdomains, simplifying management and reducing costs.
- Multi-Domain (SAN) SSL Certificates: Designed for organizations managing multiple websites with different domain names, these certificates provide flexibility and convenience. You can secure several domains with a single certificate, making it an efficient choice for businesses and enterprises.
- Extended Validation (EV) SSL Certificates: Offering the highest level of trust and security, EV SSL certificates are vital for e-commerce sites, financial institutions, and any website where customer trust is paramount. They activate the green address bar in browsers, assuring users of the website’s legitimacy.
- Unified Communications Certificates (UCC): Ideal for securing Microsoft Exchange and Office Communications environments, these certificates allow multiple domain names to be secured on a single certificate.
- SSL/TLS Certificates for IoT Devices: As the Internet of Things grows, securing these devices becomes increasingly important. DigiCert offers specialized SSL/TLS solutions for IoT environments, ensuring secure communication and data protection.
These certificates are backed by DigiCert’s strong encryption, fast issuance, and renowned disaster recovery capabilities, ensuring maximum security and reliability for your website and online presence.
DigiCert’s commitment to providing tailored solutions extends to its diverse range of SSL/TLS certificates, catering to the unique requirements of businesses and organizations in today’s digital landscape. This versatility and its industry-leading position in enterprise-grade solutions make DigiCert a top choice for SSL/TLS certifications.
Let’s Encrypt is an international nonprofit certificate authority operating since 2015. It offers free SSL certificates so websites can enable HTTPS and get the green lock in their address bars to make the web more secure and privacy-respecting for everyone. Let’s Encrypt uses automated and open techniques to reduce financial, technological, and educational barriers to encryption.
The software has revolutionized the process of acquiring and installing SSL certificates. All it takes now to obtain, install, and renew your certificate is installing software onto your server that can automatically acquire, install, and renew it – with no accounts to create or fees to pay! Plus, it is constantly being improved for better functionality and usability!
Let’s Encrypt stands apart from commercial SSL providers by being a non-profit organization; therefore, they use hardware donated by the Linux Foundation and other non-profits – creating an impressive certificate authority experience for users.
As a nonprofit, Let’s Encrypt primarily focuses on automated certificate issuance, relying on community support and extensive documentation to assist users rather than offering direct customer service features like ticketing systems, live chat, or telephone assistance. Although their offerings may not be as extensive as those other CAs provide, they still offer excellent customer care support.
Let’s Encrypt’s basic domain validation is excellent; however, an Organization Verification or Extended Validation certificate offers additional layers of security for websites. OV or EV certificates verify identity and build trust among visitors – if you require premium certificates for your site, consider purchasing them through an accredited CA.
Let’s Encrypt specializes in providing Domain Validation (DV) SSL/TLS certificates. They focus on simplifying securing websites by automating the acquisition and installation of these certificates. Let’s Encrypt’s approach is to make web encryption universally accessible, thereby enhancing overall internet security.
The certificates offered by Let’s Encrypt are recognized and trusted by most web browsers, which is essential for establishing secure connections. Their automated process involves running software on the user’s web server, which handles the certificate issuance and renewal without manual intervention. This is particularly beneficial for website administrators seeking a straightforward and cost-effective solution for essential website security.
One key aspect of Let’s Encrypt’s service is that their certificates have a shorter validity period, typically 90 days, compared to the longer duration offered by some other certificate authorities. This shorter lifespan is part of their security strategy, encouraging regular renewal and reducing the risk of compromised keys remaining in use for extended periods.
While Let’s Encrypt is highly effective for basic domain validation, they do not offer Organization Validation (OV) or Extended Validation (EV) SSL certificates. These certificates, which provide a higher level of validation and user trust, are typically available through commercial certificate authorities.
Let’s Encrypt offers a more streamlined range of SSL/TLS certificates compared to providers like DigiCert. Their focus is predominantly on automating the issuance of Domain Validation (DV) SSL/TLS certificates, which are ideal for many websites. Here’s a breakdown of what Let’s Encrypt provides:
- Domain Validation (DV) SSL Certificates: These are the primary offerings from Let’s Encrypt, ideal for securing standard websites and ensuring secure HTTPS connections. They are automatically issued and easily set up, making them a popular choice for personal blogs, small businesses, and other standard web platforms.
- Automated Certificate Management: Let’s Encrypt’s automated certificate management environment is its standout feature. This system allows for the automatic issuance, renewal, and installation of SSL/TLS certificates, greatly simplifying the process for website owners.
- Short-Lived Certificates for Enhanced Security: Let’s Encrypt issues certificates with a 90-day validity period, shorter than many traditional SSL/TLS certificates. This approach promotes regular renewals and helps maintain security with up-to-date encryption standards.
- Broad Compatibility: Certificates from Let’s Encrypt are widely recognized and trusted across various browsers and devices, ensuring that most users have a secure connection to Let’s Encrypt-protected sites.
- Focus on Encryption and Accessible Security: Let’s Encrypt emphasizes making SSL/TLS certificates more accessible and user-friendly, aiming to increase the overall security of the internet by encouraging more websites to adopt HTTPS.
Unlike some certificate authorities, Let’s Encrypt does not offer specialized certificates like Wildcard, EV (Extended Validation), or UCC (Unified Communications Certificates). Their primary mission is to make web encryption universal and user-friendly, particularly for those who might find the cost or complexity of traditional SSL/TLS certificates a barrier.
Sectigo (formerly Comodo CA) offers an expansive range of SSL certificates to businesses of all sizes in New Jersey and worldwide. Their mission is to be the world’s most reliable, innovative, and customer-centric partner so their clients can secure today and capitalize on tomorrow.
Sectigo’s RSA Domain Validation (DV) SSL certificates give companies an ideal way to add trust indicators to their website, showing off your company name within the browser interface and increasing end users’ trust in you and your product/service offering. Perfect for both e-commerce websites and business sites alike.
Sectigo OV SSL certificates provide another excellent option, verifying ownership and enabling website encryption. It is ideal for small to mid-sized businesses requiring basic web security with fast issuance times and additional tools like code signing, email authentication, and trust seals; they even include code signing capability!
Sectigo and DigiCert offer an array of SSL certificates designed to meet the needs of every business – from large enterprises to those operating on a budget. However, there is a substantial price disparity between the two brands; many customers prefer DigiCert’s premium certificates, including 89% of Fortune 500 companies and 97% of global banks surveyed by Bloomberg Businessweek in 2015.
Sectigo and DigiCert offer Multi-Domain SSL certificates to protect multiple domains or subdomains with one installation. Both brands provide various options; Sectigo’s Multi-Domain certificates support three domains by default, while DigiCert only protects one domain.
Sectigo, known for its comprehensive range of SSL certificates, caters to various business needs. Here’s an overview of the types of SSL certificates offered by Sectigo:
- Sectigo RSA Domain Validation (DV) SSL Certificates: Ideal for small to medium-sized businesses, these certificates quickly validate domain ownership and encrypt data. They enhance user trust by displaying the company name in the browser interface.
- Sectigo Organization Validation (OV) SSL Certificates: These certificates further verify the organization’s identity. They are perfect for businesses requiring credible web security with additional features like code signing and trust seals.
- Sectigo Multi-Domain SSL Certificates: Designed for businesses managing multiple domains or subdomains, these certificates allow multiple sites to be secured under a single SSL certificate. Sectigo’s Multi-Domain SSL supports three domains by default, offering a flexible solution for businesses with diverse web properties.
- Code Signing Certificates: Sectigo provides code signing certificates crucial for software developers and organizations that distribute software or applications. These certificates ensure the integrity and authenticity of the code distributed online.
- Email Authentication Certificates: To enhance email security, Sectigo offers certificates that validate and secure email communications. This is particularly important for businesses to protect against phishing attacks and ensure the legitimacy of their email correspondence.
- Trust Seals: Sectigo offers trust seals as part of their SSL certificate packages. These seals can be displayed on websites to assure visitors of the site’s security and credibility, potentially increasing user trust and conversion rates.
Sectigo’s range of SSL certificates is known for its flexibility, catering to various business sizes and requirements. Whether a company needs basic domain validation or more advanced organizational validation, Sectigo offers tailored solutions to enhance web security and user trust.
GlobalSign has long been one of the world’s longest-operating Certificate Authorities (CA), providing identity solutions that build online trust between businesses and customers. They started operations from their small office in Belgium in 1996; today, they operate globally from Boston to London, Brussels, Tokyo Shanghai with cloud PKI services identity solutions Certificate Lifecycle Management that easily integrates with any platform or application.
Their SSL certificates offer strong encryption and value-added features designed to meet the needs of any site. Their certificates ensure all website traffic is encrypted, preventing man-in-the-middle attacks, increasing customer trust, and making identity verification more straightforward for website visitors.
All their certificates are trusted by most browsers, operating systems, and servers and come in various varieties ranging from domain validated (DV) to Extended Validation (EV), with the latter featuring company ID verification to display prominently in browser bars.
GlobalSign is a leading global provider of digital identity and security solutions, serving large enterprises, service providers, IoT innovators and IoT innovators worldwide in conducting safe commerce and communications while building brand trust through automating authentication and encryption processes. They boast over two decades of experience with products trusted by major browsers, email clients, and most operating systems.
Provider of multiple certificate types that can be issued quickly in minutes. Their DV certificates provide an affordable way of adding encryption to websites with no hassle required – perfect for protecting logins, webmail accounts, blogs, or any other websites you own or manage.
GlobalSign, recognized as one of the longest-operating Certificate Authorities, offers various SSL certificates catering to online security needs. Here’s an overview of their SSL certificate offerings:
- Domain Validated (DV) SSL Certificates: Ideal for small businesses and personal websites, GlobalSign’s DV SSL Certificates provide basic encryption and validation quickly and easily. They are a cost-effective way to secure a single domain and enhance user trust.
- Extended Validation (EV) SSL Certificates: Offering the highest level of validation and trust, EV SSL certificates are essential for e-commerce sites, financial institutions, and any organization where establishing trust is critical. They prominently display the company’s identity in browser bars, ensuring visitors of the site’s authenticity.
- Organization Validated (OV) SSL Certificates: These certificates verify the organization’s identity, making them suitable for businesses requiring a higher security level than DV certificates. OV SSL certificates provide a balance between solid encryption and organizational authentication.
- Wildcard SSL Certificates: For businesses with multiple subdomains, GlobalSign’s Wildcard SSL certificates allow securing all subdomains under a single certificate. This simplifies management and is cost-effective for organizations with expansive web presences.
- Multi-Domain SSL Certificates: These certificates are designed for organizations that need to secure multiple distinct domain names. Businesses can efficiently secure various websites with a single Multi-Domain SSL certificate from GlobalSign.
- Cloud PKI Services and Certificate Lifecycle Management: GlobalSign offers advanced PKI solutions and certificate lifecycle management services that integrate seamlessly with various platforms and applications, ideal for large enterprises managing numerous certificates.
GlobalSign stands out for its extensive experience in the field and its products’ compatibility with major browsers, email clients, and operating systems. Their commitment to strong encryption, identity verification, and ease of use makes them a preferred choice for businesses seeking to secure online transactions and communications.
GoDaddy is an international domain registrar and web hosting company founded in 1997 with offices around the globe. Their services include domain registration, web hosting, email hosting business tools for small businesses, and SSL certificates. Based in America with publicly traded shares.
GoDaddy, located in Tempe, Arizona boasts over 62 million registered domain names worldwide, mostly among customers in the US, and its servers spread globally. Yet despite its immense size, GoDaddy continues to innovate and improve. One such feature is their Hire an Expert link, which enables store owners to gain access to paid marketing support services.
This service provides store owners with access to help with specific tasks. For instance, customers can hire graphic designers or SEO specialists through this platform to improve their search engine ranking, saving time and money.
Domain Privacy service of the company provides another advancement, automatically redacting contact details of domains registered with them in WHOIS directories for public view. This feature can help protect small businesses who wish to protect their data; however, please be aware that it only works with gTLD registrants who enable domain privacy.
GoDaddy now offers free domain names with every web hosting plan, encouraging people to build websites more easily without being technical. GoDaddy also boasts excellent customer support with live chat, phone support, and self-help resources available 24/7 – not to mention generous system resources in each hosting plan they provide.
GoDaddy, primarily known as a domain registrar and web hosting company, also offers a range of SSL/TLS certificates to enhance website security. Here’s a summary of their SSL certificate offerings:
- Standard SSL Certificates: Targeted at personal websites, blogs, and small businesses, these certificates provide basic encryption and validation. They are an affordable option for securing a single domain.
- Premium SSL Certificates: Designed for businesses requiring higher security levels, Premium SSL certificates from GoDaddy offer more robust encryption and validation. They are ideal for e-commerce sites and any websites handling sensitive user data.
- Wildcard SSL Certificates: Useful for businesses with multiple subdomains, GoDaddy’s Wildcard SSL certificates enable the security of unlimited subdomains under a single certificate. This option simplifies management and is cost-effective for larger web infrastructures.
- Extended Validation (EV) SSL Certificates: These certificates provide the highest level of security and trust. EV SSL certificates from GoDaddy are essential for sites where customer confidence is critical, as they display the company’s name in the browser’s address bar, verifying the website’s legitimacy.
- Managed SSL Service: GoDaddy offers a managed SSL service, removing SSL installation and maintenance hassles. This service is ideal for those who prefer to avoid dealing with the technical aspects of SSL certificates.
- Multi-Domain (UCC) SSL Certificates: GoDaddy’s Multi-Domain SSL certificates allow securing several different domains with one certificate. It’s an efficient choice for businesses managing multiple online properties.
- Domain Validation with Fast Issuance: GoDaddy provides quick issuance of domain-validated certificates, ensuring rapid deployment of website security.
GoDaddy’s SSL certificates are recognized for their compatibility with major browsers and their focus on providing user-friendly solutions for many website owners. Their 24/7 customer support and easy integration with their hosting services make them a convenient choice for many users.